Batting Average By Velocity Since 2008

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BA broken down by pitch velocity since 2008100MPH+ .161 95 to 100 .23890 to 95 .27485 to 90 .26980 to 85 .23275 to 80 .230<75 .236</p>— Daren Willman (@darenw) <a href="

">April 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The best umpire so far this year has been wrong over 5% of the time, the worst close to 10%.  I suspect historical averages are similar  There is simply no persuasive argument to not institute technological assistance to calling balls and strikes unless you can clearly demonstrate that the outcome would be worse.
    • I hope people appreciate just how great of a post this is.  Bravo.  Lol
    • He didn’t get any attention in Spring Training because Albert Suarez was the noteworthy out-of-nowhere old MiL contract, but keep an eye on Luis Gonzalez. He’s a soft-tossing lefty RP, but he has an elite top 1-5% spin fastball - around 2450 RPMs. The fastball is only 91-92 MPH, but that spin rate caught my eye in Spring Training as is clearly why he was brought in as a 32 year old who hasn’t pitched in the minor leagues since 2021. He unfortunately doesn’t have the same ability for spin on the breaking balls, but that’s still a lot to work with. Now, in 16.2 IP he’s got 25/3 K/BB and only 1 HR, good for a 3.78 ERA, 2.32 FIP, 3.38 xFIP. Very high fly ball % as you might expect for a fastball with that spin, so he might be the type that can get a lot of soft fly balls and run a better FIP than xFIP. For what it’s worth, Steamer already projects him for 3.93 ERA / 4.19 FIP at the MLB level, and that will quickly adjust if his sample size of performance at this level in AAA increases. Vespi is still on the 40-man and has an option, but he’s been struggling with walks in AAA and his FIP/xFIP are pretty awful despite the nice ERA. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gonzalez leapfrog him if the need for a lefty RP arises, although the option and already being on the 40-man definitely work in Vespi’s favor if it’s a short-term thing. 
    • vs RHP 6 Henderson 2 Adley 3 O’Hearn 5 Westburg 7 Cowser 4 Holliday 9 Mayo 0 Kjerstad 8 Mullins BN Hays, Mateo, Mounty, Catcher vs LHP 6 Henderson 2 Adley 5 Westburg 0 Mayo 9 Cowser 3 Mounty 4 Holliday 7 Hays 8 Mullins BN Kjerstad, Mateo, O’Hearn, Catcher
    • We’ve been completely f****d this year by umpiring because we’re the biggest competition to the MFYs this year. 
    • Frobby has his own ZIPS projections on how many times and when his wife is in the mood.   Her splits say May is always a good month but his hit rate is better on the road than home.    I would really like to know his whiff rate.
  • Popular Contributors